Coffee Cup Sketches

May 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm (Art, Games) (, , , , )


So lately I’ve been drawing pictures on the side of my coffee cups (using pen). Here’s some pictures:

Advertisements

Permalink 1 Comment

Short Game Prototypes

May 24, 2010 at 11:41 am (Computer Science, Games, Graphics) (, , , , , , , )


I’ve been using the language Processing to put together a few quick game prototypes lately. It’s surprisingly quick to get decent results. The screenshots here took a few days of casual work to make. The first one (which took more time) is a 2D-in3D, turn-based RPG game. The technical aspects include a nifty camera to pan around, a map loader, billboard sprites that always face the camera (or can just rotate in the camera’s direction), and object picking.

The second one is a RealTime Strategy (RTS) engine similar to Baldur’s Gate. Each unit has an action gauge that charges up and allows them to attack enemies. There’s a basic avatar system (click on the HUD to select that unit), some basic AI, camera panning by moving the mouse to the screen edge, event triggers, and the basics of moving and attacking for the units.

Permalink 1 Comment

Red Art

May 20, 2010 at 11:47 am (Computer Science, Graphics) (, , , , , , )


I’ve decided to post a few screenshots of art generated from some software I wrote. It’s a suite used for assisting in creating art from photographs in order to mimic the style of Russian propaganda posters. The code is written in both C# (for the interactive parts) and Matlab (for the raw image processing).

Permalink Leave a Comment

Project updates from 2010

May 5, 2010 at 1:46 pm (Computer Science, Graphics) (, , , , , , , , , , )


So I’ve been fairly busy with finishing off the coursework required for my Masters degree lately. I’m in the process of tying up some loose ends right now before I start putting all my attention towards my thesis research.

One of the projects I’m finishing up is a software for visualizing genome comparison data. I’ve named it BioHive due to it reminding me of a bee hive because of the layered approach I used. I might post some screenshots at a later point in time once I finish fixing it up and use it a bit.

Another interesting project is a Russian propaganda poster generator. I call it Red Art and it turns photographs of people into traditional propaganda posters from the 1930’s. It was a little irritating to work on due to the difficulties with consistent automatic image segmentation, but overall I had fun making the software. I’ll post images of the results later as well, but I’m currently trying a new approach to this idea to try and improve it. We’ll see how far I get with it.

Permalink Leave a Comment