New screenshots: 3D Meshes and fire effects

November 30, 2013 at 11:12 am (Games, Graphics, Processing, Programming, Video games) (, , , , , )


Here’s some screenshots I whipped up this morning. It is to show off the fact that I am using 3D meshes for background scene objects. Right now I’m using some objects I got for free from Reiner’s Tiles. Excellent website by the way; great stuff for when you need some basic stock objects or placeholder art (actually the license on this site lets you use it for final commercial projects as well!). ANYWAY, the scene in these shots is a crypt room with some 3D objects. There are some columns and a torch. For the torch I have a basic fire particle effect (it DEFINITELY needs some work though). It has some basic flames and embers with simple behaviour. The second image shows the room rotated at an angle just to prove that I’m using 3D objects.

Room with 3D columns and fire effects

Room with 3D columns and fire effects

Rotated room with 3D columns and fire effects

Rotated room with 3D columns and fire effects

Permalink Leave a Comment

Trimming down a game: The big decision

November 25, 2013 at 1:05 pm (Games, Graphics, Processing, Programming, Video games)


So I’ve come to a realization about the game I’ve been working on building: I can’t build the idea I want. I do not have the resources to do it right now. Too big of an art requirement and some other things that are either out of my hands or I’m unable to do it myself.

My remedy for this though is to decide from one of the following options (and feel free to comment or make suggestions):

1) I simplify my game idea by a huge amount. I would need to lock the camera and have it so you can’t spin it around. This would ensure that it’s easier to get art assets created and used in levels. Essentially this means it would look MUCH better for demos and the final game. Also, I would have to remove mechanics; either focus on making it a shooter and remove a lot of the mystery/detective story elements, or focus on making it more of a puzzle and/or exploration game. This is risky since I would have to focus on setting up a better atmosphere and put all my eggs in that basket.

2) Reskin the game to be a sci-fi game. Instead of the turn-of-the-century Cthulhu setting, it would be set in space or on a spaceship. This would drastically simplify the levels, since it’s acceptable to see an empty room in a spaceship, but it’s not so much to see an empty room that’s supposed to be a well-used library with hidden secrets. The subject matter has been beaten to death, but there is still some room for originality in the implementation of it. Also, some extra work would have to be done to change up the weapons and add some new particle effects in.

I had a large vision for this game originally, and yet it was possible to build it all, and in fact, I had most of the features already implemented. I need to trim things down to make it more manageable to build the thing in a reasonable amount of time.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Zombie Mansion: Screenshot

November 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm (Computer Science, Games, Processing, Video games) (, , , , , , )


November 2013 Screenshot

November 2013 Screenshot

Permalink Leave a Comment

Zombie Mansion: Updates and screenshots!

November 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm (Games, Processing, Programming, Video games) (, , , , , , , , )


Yay! Screenshots! I’ve finally had some motivation to post some stuff on my project that isn’t 6 months old. I got a little side tracked with events and stuff, so I’ve been busy and unmotivated. Anyway, I’ve solved the issue I was complaining about in my last post, or at least I have a workaround for it, so it looks nice again. Also, I’ve been using Artisy: Draft for piecing together level designs and other stuff. It makes it a bit easier when I go to make levels in my editor if I have a fancy map telling me where to put stuff.

Anyway, here are some animated GIFs of my “game” right now. Note that they don’t really look right due to the GIF making process I’m using. For example, the animations and movements look really glitchy (and the particle effects die out) because the framerate dies when I record a GIF with the library I’m using. Also, the levels depicted in the GIFs are not finished and polished, so the floors look awkward, etc.

Basic room spin

Basic room spin

Shooting a zombie

Shooting a zombie

Pushing furniture

Pushing furniture

Permalink 2 Comments