Aftermath of Zombie Mansion Alpha 1 Build

July 18, 2014 at 12:40 pm (Game Development, Games, Graphics, Java, JavaScript, Processing, Programming, Video games) (, , , , , , )


So at this point in time I’ve had multiple people play through my game demo. The results were actually better than I thought. I think only one person wasn’t able to run it (still not entire sure why, but that’s future Jake’s problem now). There were a couple major issues, but those were found and fixed as well. One of the bugs was that I didn’t include the assets for the 3D objects, so when the players entered the room with columns, the game crashed. There was also some scripting errors driven by not having necessary images wrapped up in the resources archive. Logging definitely helped out there.

The last major issue is unsolved, but lies with some code I threw together for the level selection screen. I think some of the click events aren’t going through, or it’s not loading the levels properly. I think this may have something to do with that particular tester running the game through a zip file though. I was shocked to find out that it worked period though.

I got some pretty decent feedback from one tester in particular though. He gave not only bug reports, etc, but opinions on controls, aesthetics, and game flow as well. Most of those things were explained away as “placeholder” stuff, but still; it was useful information to know what a tester/player is thinking when they see that stuff. When I show most people my game, I need comments like “looks neat and retro” or “I like the camera spin feature”, but not enough people pay attention to tiny details.

Anyway, that’s the update. I haven’t had free time to cut a second build or to work on new levels or anything.

Permalink 2 Comments

Ant + Processing = Grief

July 4, 2014 at 8:20 am (Computer Science, Game Development, Java, Processing, Programming) (, , , , , , , , )


This will be a humorous post coming right after the article about how great automation is. After I finished writing my Ant scripts for automating my Java project, I ran into a wall; Ant can’t update a Processing library while the Processing Development Environment is running. For some reason, Eclipse is able to deploy JAR files and have them overwrite the existing library while the PDE is running though!

So now I have to figure out a way to make this work, or else I have to ignore all of the automation I put in. I may still use Ant to back up my code projects to an external hard drive, but that’s about it right now.

And then there was sadness.

Permalink Leave a Comment